Paperwork Requirements for British Citizens

FAQ – Paperwork Requirements British Citizens for Civil Wedding in Italy (opposite sex) 

– Bride and groom have to follow the same steps –

What do I need to do?
You’ll need to get a certificate of no impediment (CNI) from the authorities in the UK to prove you’re allowed to marry.

Where do I get my CNI in the UK?
You can normally get a CNI by giving a notice of marriage at your local register office or registrar in the UK.

(A CNI issued in Scotland is valid for 3 months. A CNI issued in England, Wales or Northern Ireland will not expire. Please note: In Italy the documents issued for your wedding are usually valid for 6 months)

What else do we need to do?
While you’re waiting for your CNI, you and your partner will need to make a statutory declaration before a solicitor or public notary in the UK.

Here you can download a standardized template to download a bilingual statutory declaration for your civil wedding in Italy

What else do I need to do once issued the CNI and once I did make the statutory declaration?
You’ll need to get your statutory declaration and CNI ‚legalized’ (certified as genuine) by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).

What are the last steps before presenting the documents in Italy?
You’ll also need to get your CNI translated and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace.

We will be happy to check for you, if all your documents are complete.

A Civil Wedding in Italy



× Chat with me!