Paperwork Requirements for Australian Citizens

Paperwork Requirements for Australian Citizens:

FAQ – Paperwork Requirements for a Civil Wedding in Italy

What documents do we need?

Two main documents are required for Australian citizens to marry in Italy. These are the “Atto Notorio” and the “Nulla Osta”. Outlined below is information regarding this documentation.

How to get an Atto Notorio?

Document 1: “Atto di notorietà per uso matrimonio” (also known as Atto Notorio):
This should be obtained from the Italian Embassy or nearest Italian Consulate in the state where you reside before leaving Australia.  If you are unable to obtain the Atto Notorio from an Italian Consulate in Australia, you may obtain one from a Tribunale Civile (Civil Court) in Italy or from the civil registrar (ufficiale di stato civile) of the marriage office of the city where you plan to get married.

If you are requesting the Atto Notorio from the Tribunale Civile, you must attend in person together with two adult witnesses.

What about the payment?

Payment at the Tribunale Civile is made in the form of revenue stamps which you should purchase in advance. The amount required is:

For an urgent certificate issued on the same day:
One duty stamp for the value of 16,00 Euros for the original Atto Notorio which will be kept by the Tribunale Civile plus another 16,00 Euro duty stamp for your copy of the Atto Notorio and 3 duty stamps for the value of 6.20 euros each.


If the certificate is not urgent (to be collected after 5 days):
One duty stamp for the value of 16,00 Euros for the original Atto Notorio which will be kept by the Tribunale Civile plus another 16,00 Euro duty stamp and 1 duty stamp for the value of 6.20 euro.

How to get a Nulla Osta?

Document 2: Nulla Osta:
In addition to the above-mentioned Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen intending to marry in Italy will need to make a Sworn Declaration (Nulla Osta) at the Australian Embassy in Rome or the Australian Consulate-General in Milan. Make sure you travel with your Australian passport as this has to be presented to Embassy/Consulate officers when signing the Nulla Osta. A Nulla Osta states that there is no impediment to marriage and must be signed, whether you are single, divorced or widowed, in the presence of an Australian Consular officer at the Australian Embassy in Rome or Australian Consulate-General in Milan. 

Is a Nulla Osta sworn outside of Italy valid, too?

No, Nulla Ostas sworn outside of Italy and Certificates of No Impediment are not valid for use in Italy.

What else to note?

If you have been married previously, please provide evidence of the termination of your marriage. The consular officer who witnesses your signature for the Nulla Osta will need to see, where applicable, your original divorce certificate or the death certificate of your late spouse. Photocopies are not acceptable. Please note that a divorced woman who wishes to marry again within 300 days of the date of her divorce must contact the local Italian authorities and seek special permission from an Italian magistrate to remarry. Otherwise, a divorcee must allow the required period of 300 days to elapse.

 What does a Nulla Osta cost and how long is it valid?

The Nulla Osta (Sworn Declaration) is valid for six months and costs the Euro equivalent of A$70.00 per Australian citizen. Payments may only be made via credit or debit cards at the Australian Embassy in Rome.  Cash will not be accepted.

 What to do once we have obtained the documents?

Once you have obtained the Nulla Osta, it will have to be legalised by the Uffico Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura. You may take the document to any Prefettura office in Italy. Before going to the Prefettura, you will need to purchase a revenue stamp (marca da bollo) which costs Euro 16,00 at a tobacconist (tabaccaio). This stamp will be applied to your Nulla Osta by the  Prefettura official who performs the certification.

Please take the Atto Notorio and Nulla Osta to the Ufficio Matrimoni, or Marriage Office, in the Italian city where you plan to marry.

You will be given an appointment to lodge your Declaration of Intent to Marry. The Declaration of Intent to Marry is followed by the Civil Ceremony. You may apply for a marriage certificate (certificato di matrimonio) shortly before the wedding ceremony and you should receive it immediately after the ceremony. Ask to have an Apostille affixed to the Italian Marriage certificate by the Italian authorities at the Prefettura of the city where you get married, so that it may legally valid once you return to Australia.

If one of the parties marrying is Italian or is an Australian with Italian residency, the Italian authorities may require that Banns (pubblicazione di matrimonio) be posted for at least two weeks before the date of the marriage.

Of course your personal wedding planner will assist you with all the necessary paperwork. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us any time at

Paperwork Requirements for a Civil Wedding



× Chat with me!